Tuesday 22 July 2014

'Casting Traces' by New Movement Collection at 3 Olaf Street, London

I didn’t really know what to expect when booking Casting Traces. Quite frankly, I still don’t really know what to think. After hearing about it on a Facebook group my interest got the better of me, but we all have to try something new, right?

The premise of the promenade show was a detective story that showed themes of surveillance and transformation. Neither the story or the themes influenced me nor, for the most part, did I have a clue about what was going on. I caught glimpses of the action but the visually stimulating aspect of the play, an incredible paper maze that the audience are led around by spotlights, was not well thought out and meant that a lot of the action was fragmented. The other main visual used was projections that helped create a sense of location and move the plot along. Although cleverly filmed, my interest was sometimes caught on what was being projected rather than the importance of the action and the relevance was often questionable.

The dance and movement arrangements were interesting and the repeated sequences showed their changes in emotion through the tempo of the music and the way the skilled dancers executed each move. There was no doubt that this progression portrayed a story but at times I felt disconnected from the characters. As well as backing tracks, a violinist (Aisha Orazbayeva) was in the same space adding to the ambiance and providing a rare, distinct quality to the action.

As a promenade production, Casting Traces had a greater sense of intimacy in comparison to a commercial show. A white coat distinguished us from the performers but didn’t distance us in any way. The freedom to move where we wanted and the dancers performing inches away from you creates this unusual atmosphere, however, I’m not sure that this was beneficial to the production.


I’m glad I saw this production, it was definitely a new experience but all the incredible visuals, amazing ideas and atmospheric music just didn’t blend into the creation it had the potential to be. There was a lot of WOW but that doesn’t create the mind-blowing piece of theatre we all want to see. I will be interested to see what New Movement Collection have coming up next but hope that it impresses me more than this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment