Wednesday 2 July 2014

'Les Misérables' at The Queen's Theatre, London

‘Les Misérables’ is arguably the most well known musical in the world. It’s been running for 29 years in the West End but still remains a jaw dropping, heart-warming piece of theatre and every change of cast brings a new and original atmosphere to the show.

My second visit comes after my interest in theatre has heightened and I was not disappointed by the standard that the newly polished cast rises to. Each individual raises their game higher than I have ever seen it and, as one of the graduates of the cast, I was most impressed by Michael Colbourne who’s Enjolras was powerful, convincing and who’s voice filled the theatre with more influence than anyone else’s. One of the youngest members of the cast has the show stopping voice that everyone dreams to have at that age. Gavroche made the audience gasp in awe of his talent and almost got a round of applause after his death.

No surprise came as the light’s fell and the familiar overture filled the audience with anticipation and excitement. Peter Lockyer takes to the role of Jean Valjean and plays him convincingly while Rob Houchen’s Marius has the elegance and drive needed, displayed beautifully in his poignant rendition of ‘Empty Chairs and Empty Tables’ where the pain and memory of his friends absorbs the audience. The Thénadier’s add the comedic and uplifting moments to the show but also demonstrate the vulgarity and lack of morals in society at the time. Although I mention all the fantastic lead roles, there was not a single cast member out of place or letting the cast down, every person was astonishingly captivating and even provided some of the more memorable moments of the show.

Set, lighting and costume, as always, are an important part of conveying the setting but also the personality of each character. The lighting was simple but used bright colours in comedic moments and a bright white light to symbolize the death of some major characters. The use of spotlight’s also impressed me; showing the progression of time for Jean Valjean carrying Marius and flashes for slow motion which added to the effect of the physical control each member of the cast displayed. The set naturalistically converted the blank stage into an intimidating barricade with the use of the revolving stage which turned tirelessly and was used to the shows advantage to show movement, give slick scene changes and give us an all round view of the action; especially during the barricades.

I'm sure I don't need to say to much about the famous music,. After seeing the show, you understand the beauty of the story is told through the unimaginable standard of singing and the incredible melodies which we warm to so quickly.


I was a lot more impressed than I expected to be. Although last time I saw the show I had the novelty of singing on the stage, for me it lacked passion that would intrigue an audience. However, this time I could not take my eye of the stage and with each scene I was even more enthralled with the effortlessly executed excitement. A must see for everyone and I am sure it will be around for many more years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment