Tuesday 16 September 2014

'Richard III' at Trafalgar Studios, London

Richard III. The cunning, murderous Shakespeare character returns to London in Jamie Lloyd’s new production of the tragedy, this time starring Martin Freeman. The complex plot concerning Richard’s fight for the throne has never been my favourite play and, unfortunately, this did production didn’t influence me for the better.

The 1979 modern setting didn’t add anything to the production for me. Maybe it was because I have very little knowledge and very few opinions on that time or maybe just because the parallels didn’t create any more understanding, if anything it added to the already complicated plot by giving us something else to consider. However, the lighting and sound was used, mostly, in a clever fashion. Background music almost induced us sub-consciously with feelings, echoing the mood of each scene. It also gave an obvious transition between scenes as well as sudden scares at the beginning of each act, forcing the audience’s concentration onto the action. The lighting again aided the understanding of the production with split screens, focused moments on actors and obvious scene changes. At a few points I felt the detailed set, lighting and music seemed a tad flashy and took away from the gruesome action and cunning at the heart of the play, it was over used and would have been more effective if it had been used simply. On the other hand, it helped keep the action moving making it more visually and aurally interesting to watch but many effects were just ideas which seemingly hadn't been fully developed.

I both loved and hated Martin Freeman in the three hours I was watching this production. As Richard III, I saw and loved lots of his changes in cunning and motivation. But at other points he lacked the horror, loathing and power I felt Richard required; the audience should be whisked along in the arms of Richard, compelled by his wit even through all of his perilous games. The rest of the cast were generally impressive, especially Jo Stone- Fewings as Buckingham, but some points of direction I really did question. The audience, at numerous dark and horrific parts, ended up in laughter. Admittedly, as the majority of the audience members were from schools there is bound to be some unexpected reactions but none seemed inappropriate. I couldn’t tell if it was the director’s intention to bring some dark-humour into the play or if it was purely unimpressive and unrealistic murders and dialogue. Were we supposed to laugh at the horror unfolding before us? I had no idea and I felt that it was neither humourous nor disturbing enough, so it lacked the engrossing quality that a Shakespeare tragedy requires.

In the end I was completely indifferent to this production. I neither loved nor hated it. I wasn’t checking my watch waiting for it to end nor fully enthralled in the show. I can’t even say it was a waste of time because there were certainly some elements I enjoyed but some complications really were unnecessary. Also, where was all the blood?!

Until 27th September 2014.

0 comments:

Post a Comment